Recent Fire Damage Posts
Residential fires during the holiday season are more frequent, more costly, and more deadly than at any other time of the year. The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) reports more than double the number of open-flame fires on Christmas Day than on an average day, and about twice as many on New Year’s Day. And when those fires occur, they do more damage: Property loss during a holiday fire is 34% greater than in an average fire, and the number of fatalities per thousand fires is nearly 70% higher. When the source of the fire is a highly flammable Christmas tree, the toll in property and lives is even greater.
Keep your household from becoming a holiday fire statistic!
A few others things that cause holiday fires:
Kids Playing with Matches
Please be cautious in all situations, keep a fire extinguisher handy, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors up to date.
Fire can become a disastrous thing. QUICK. Not just the fire itself, but everything that comes along with it. As often happens, the need for cleanup was more widespread than the fire itself. SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz & Princeton workers will come and make any bad situation worse. While fire does much more physical damage, the smoke and soot that comes along can sometimes be the more difficult part of the cleanup/restoration process. Our SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz & Princeton team will do whatever it takes to get your home, business, etc. back to the way it was, all while taking the stress of a bad occurrence off your plate. Our diligent, knowledgeable team is just a call away!
Esporta Soft Contents
At SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz & Princeton we have a state of the art Esporta machine to clean any and all soft contents. This includes even leather products, stuffed animals, whether or not they are soot damaged or even damaged by sewage. The items cleaned are certified food grade clean. The machine was developed in Canada by a gentleman whose son played youth hockey as a goal tender and his leather protective equipment was soaked with sweat and smelled terribly. He developed a hydraulic process that got the leather leg pads used by goalies back to like new condition. This evolved into this person starting his own company and manufacturing the best cleaning machine for soft contents made today. Out of Kelowna BC Canada, we have this machine and are part of the ECONA National Network.
4 Important Steps You Should Take To Reduce Space Heater Fires
Space heaters can be very convenient, especially if you have one room in your home that never seems to get enough heat from your central HVAC system. Whether you use a space heater regularly or you only pull it out on the coldest winter days, here are four important steps you should always take to prevent fire damage in Murray, Benton, Cadiz, or Princeton, KY, from a burned space heater.
1. Clean It Thoroughly
Before you use your space heater for the first time, make sure you clean all visible surfaces thoroughly. Dust and other small particles tend to build up on the heater’s surface and could potentially cause the unit to overheat or catch fire if not removed regularly.
2. Leave Plenty of Empty Space Around Your Heater
Never put your heater up against a blanket, piece of furniture or any other item. If you do, you’re likely to have a burned space heater before long. Space heaters should always have at least three feet of empty space around them, free from furniture, carpets and other items.
3. Keep Heaters Away From Kids
Don’t operate a space heater in an area where kids frequently play. To reduce the risk of fire if a child does accidentally knock over the heater, make sure you purchase one that has an emergency shut-off mechanism. You should also keep pets away from heaters whenever possible.
4. Never Leave a Heater Unattended
Never leave a space heater unattended. If you plan to leave the room for a few minutes or a few hours, turn the space heater off beforehand. You can easily turn it back on when you return.
Following these preventatives steps will minimize your chances of fire damage while warming your home. If you experience a burned space heater or fire damage even after taking these preventative steps, a fire damage restoration professional can help with your smoke cleanup and restoration needs.
For more information, visit http://www.SERVPROmurraybentoncadizprinceton.com/.
Electrical Fire Safety
Electrical fires are never pretty.
Winter weather and the holiday season puts great stress on home outlets. Along with the ordinary plug-ins (coffee pot, lamps, hair dryers) we add the stress of Christmas lights and space heaters. These additional items are potentially very hazardous and can lead do significant damage to your home, business, or property.
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton wants to provide you with the steps necessary to prevent these things! However, if an unfortunate event occurs, we are here to help!
- Frequently check electrical cords
- Major appliances should be plugged directly into wall outlets (not extension cords)
- Clean dryer lint filter after every use
- Do not overload extension cords or power strips
- NEVER leave space heaters or heated blankets on unattended
- Unplug items after use
Use these tips provided by SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton as a proactive measure to prevent a fire damage event at your home or business.
Preventing Space Heater Fires in Your Murray, Kentucky Home
Approximately 25,000 house fires every year are attributed to space heaters. User error is the primary cause, although heaters without essential safety features may malfunction and pose a fire risk. Here are five ways that you can prevent a burned space heater from starting a fire in your home.
1. Keep a minimum of three feet between space heaters and combustibles. Combustibles include bedding, curtains, and upholstered furniture. You should also only operate a space heater on a hard, level, non-flammable surface.
2. Don't operate heaters unattended around pets or kids. Children, cats, and dogs don't understand the principles of fire safety.
3. Purchase a space heater with safety features. One of the best ways to prevent a burned space heater is to purchase a model that automatically shuts off when it overheats. Check the model you are considering for a safety certification label, ground fault circuit interrupter plug, and a sturdy cord that is at least six feet long. Make sure the heater has all of the features you need to stay warm while running a very low risk of fire.
4. Turn off or unplug heaters when not in use. This can reduce the risk of a fire starting when you are elsewhere in your home or away from home.
5. Avoid plugging other electronics into the same outlet as a space heater. You should also never use an extension cord, as this equipment heightens the overheating risk.
Your heater can only work as designed if it is kept in working condition. You may need to regularly clean the filter on your space heater to prevent it from overheating. In addition to following these steps, you should also test the smoke alarms in your home and replace batteries or damaged units. If a burned space heater does cause a fire, contact a smoke cleanup service in Western, Kentucky.
For more information, please visit us at http://www.SERVPROmurraybentoncadizprinceton.com/.
Having The Right Equipment In A Fire Can Save Your Home - And Your Life!
Fire at a local apartment complex
Fires and fire damage are common tragedies among homeowners. But, there are ways to lessen the damage. SERVPRO® of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton is Here to Help so fires don’t ruin your summer. One is having a proper fire extinguisher --especially, during grilling season. Make sure you follow these rules from our friends at the American Red Cross when it comes to having a good extinguisher:
- Always have more than one working extinguisher in your home.
- Install extinguishers high on the wall and away from any heat sources.
- If an extinguisher doesn’t work on a fire immediately, drop it and get out. Most portable extinguishers empty in 8 seconds.
- Make sure the gauge on your extinguisher is properly charged.
Once you have the right fire extinguisher, always remember PASS:
P- Pull the pin and hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you.
A- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
S- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
S- Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
We hope these tips keep fires and fire damage from your homes. But, if you have fire damage and need SERVPRO, we are always Here to Help. Call SERVPRO® of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton at (270) 753-1160.
Graves County Middle School Fire
Our middle school fire alarm sounded in the middle of the night recently. A soft drink machine malfunctioned, causing a small fire. Of course, we are grateful for the firefighters who extinguished the blaze quickly. As often happens, the need for cleanup was more widespread than the fire itself. SERVPRO of Paducah workers responded immediately to take care of the damage the unexpected fire caused with precision and care. They had school ready for students when they arrived. The SERVPRO team stayed on site until everything had returned to normal and well into the day after the fire. Throughout their stay, every worker was friendly and highly professional! Their work was efficient and complete. I cannot imagine a better response than SERVPRO of Paducah accomplished! –
Superintendent Kim Dublin, Graves County (Ky.) Schools
Smoke and Soot Cleanup for your Murray, Benton, Cadiz or Princeton Residence
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (270) 753-1160