Recent Water Damage Posts
How To Deal With Water Damage
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton is an emergency team here, available to you 24 hours a day for storm, fire, mold and water emergencies. For our team, there is no job too large or small. The first step one needs to take when they realize they may have water damage is to take immediate action. Our crew is very experienced and have all witnessed numerous water damage jobs. If there is one word of advice is would be to call as soon as you notice a leak/water damage. Waiting just a couple of hours can increase the severity of the water damages.
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We understand that when something like this happens, you may be overwhelmed with all kinds of emotions. Let us take the stress and worry off your hands. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
Call SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton for any water needs today!!
What Happens After You Call SERVPRO of Murray?
Dehumidifiers and Air-Movers are set up to dry out a local church.
Have you ever wondered what happens after SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz & Princeton is called to the scene of a water damage event?
- Kelly Bone, our lead water technician, meets with customer to discuss remediation process and questions or concerns.
- Water extraction begins.
- SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton uses a truck-mounted commercial extractor to remove any standing water.
- Damage is assessed.
- Anything that is salvageable is removed and kept safe from further damage.
- Unsalvageable material is discarded (including contents, drywall, flooring, etc.)
- Equipment is set up.
- Industrial grade dehumidifiers and high-speed air movers are strategically placed in space to remove remaining moisture from ceilings, walls, and floors.
- Situation is monitored.
- Kelly and her crew members return to the scene periodically to monitor drying process.
- Once dry, reconstruction can begin.
There are many steps involved in drying out a home or commercial property after a water damage event. However, the amazing and unparalleled service Kelly Bone provides makes the process as seemless and hassle-free as possible for our customers.
Call SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton to help with your water damage event.
Flooding in Murray, KY: What To Do vs. What Not To Do
The SERVPRO crew is always ready!
Murray, Kentucky and the surrounding western Kentucky region are known to be prone to a certain among of flooding. This year we received a significant amount of rain during the spring months and the flood gates had to be installed. SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton has a few tips to help you remember what TO DO and what NOT TO DO during a flood event.
What Not To Do:
- Do not use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet.
- Do not leave wet fabrics ups. Hang fur and leather goods.
What To Do:
- Turn air condition on for maximum drying in the summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects and collectibles to a safe, dry place.
For further information on how SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton would tackle your flood damage event, visit us here, or call us at (270) 573-1160 today!
Faster to Any Size Disaster!
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 270-753-1160
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Murray Residents: Who To Call When Your Home Or Business Has Water Damage
The result of a pipe burst in this Princeton, KY home.
Your home should be your place of rest. But when water begins leaking - even small leaks in areas you can't see - your home could quickly become a source of stress. The possibility of harmful mold, rot and unseen damage may affect the value of your home and the health of loved ones.
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton professionals understand how disruptive water damages can be for your entire family and will help ensure the water is identified, regardless of where it hides. That is why we offer 24-hour emergency response by trained, uniformed restoration professionals. With top-of-the line equipment and time-tested cleanup and restoration techniques, SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton has the expertise to help make your house feel like home again.
After all, when it comes to your home and your family, even small disasters can feel like huge problems. So if a water damage occurs in your home, just call us (270) 753-1160. We'll be there to help.
How To Protect Your Pipes From Freezing
Why Pipe Freezing is a Problem
Water has a unique property in that it expands as it freezes. This expansion puts tremendous pressure on whatever is containing it, including metal or plastic pipes. No matter the strength of a container, expanding water can cause pipes to break.
Pipes that freeze most frequently are:
- Pipes that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, and water sprinkler lines.
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets.
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation.
How to Protect Pipes From Freezing
Before the onset of cold weather, protect your pipes from freezing by following these recommendations:
- Drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer's or installer's directions. Do not put antifreeze in these lines unless directed. Antifreeze is environmentally harmful, and is dangerous to humans, pets, wildlife, and landscaping.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas. Look in the garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
- Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes like a "pipe sleeve" or installing UL-listed "heat tape," "heat cable," or similar materials on exposed water pipes. Newspaper can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes – even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
- Consider relocating exposed pipes to provide increased protection from freezing.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
How to Thaw Frozen Pipes
- If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Likely places for frozen pipes include against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
- Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
Click here for more information.
If you have suspect a potential water damage at your home, Call SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz, and Princeton at (270) 753-1160!
Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (270) 753-1160
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton
SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
- IICRC Certified Firm
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- SRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton Residents! We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - (270) 753-1160
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Murray, Benton, Cadiz and Princeton and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (270) 753-1160